UNEP is an Implementing Agency of the GEF with the World Bank and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and is the only GEF Agency whose core business is the environment.
UNEP plays a key role in supporting countries to develop and execute GEF projects that fit within its comparative advantage. UNEP’s comparative advantage within the GEF has been defined as:
- Scientific assessments, monitoring, early warning;
- Linking science to policy (Capacity Building, Enabling Activities) at national, regional and global levels;
- Innovation, technology transfer and lifting barriers;
- Regional and global cooperation;
- Awareness raising, advocacy, and Knowledge Management.
Technical Experts on UNEP subprogrammes
Statistics on the Portfolio
( Click links below to View Graphs )