Balakrishna Pisupati and Mathis Wackernagel
"While they have achieved another milestone in flight, their circumnavigation is even more momentous for what it demonstrates about clean technology."
- Governments set the stage for a possible agreement to reduce potent greenhouse gases under the Montreal Protocol.
- An amendment on reducing HFCs would be a significant step towards meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- An HFC phase-down can avoid up to 0.5⁰ Celsius of global warming by 2100.
- HFCs are the fastest-growing greenhouse gases. Many are 100s to 1000s of times more powerful than carbon dioxide (CO2) at warming the atmosphere.
- The Climate and Clean Air Coalition believes urgent actions, like an HFC phase-down, are necessary to limit climate change.
- Developing countries embrace green finance policies as part of wider effort to finance the real economy and meet social, economic and environmental needs
- Green finance policies inspired by new models such as developments in fintech
- US$5-7 trillion a year needed to implement the Sustainable Development Goals
15 to 23 July 2016 at the Vienna International Centre (VIC); Vienna, Austria
High-level session closes productive Africa Carbon Forum 2016
The unprecedented project will generate cash returns of at least $77.5 million
UNEP reports shed light on how countries are using different tools to shift to low-carbon, resource-efficient economies that achieve sustainable development