- Italian Environment Ministry commits 4.5 million euro for the protection of the Mediterranean
- The money will go to improving protection of marine parks and tackling marine litter, among others
- Global Environment Outlook findings for the pan-European region form basis for common action
- Up to 44,000 Poles die prematurely due to poor air quality, according to European Environment Agency
- Better use of available resources could earn the region 1.8 trillion Euro and create up to 3 million jobs in EU alone
Brazil and Barcelona star takes up Gisele Bündchen invitation to help end illegal trade in wildlife
"This new campaign will not allow ignorance, indifference, fashion or status to serve as an excuse." - UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador Li Bingbing
- Close to 15% of the Earth's land and 12% of its territorial waters are covered by national parks and other protected areas.
- Coverage of marine protected areas more than quadrupled in the last decade.
- Eight in 10 key biodiversity areas worldwide lack complete protection.
"I've seen Côte d'Ivoire rapidly develop in the last five years. I want to see it continue to build and improve its economy long into the future. For it to do so, economic development must not come at the expense of the environment." - Erik Solheim
UN Environment Executive Director Erik Solheim issued the following statement in support of a call by the UN Commission on Trade and Development and the Food and Agriculture Organization to end harmful fishing subsidies.