UN Environment and the Norwegian Government signed a framework agreement for development cooperation yesterday that lays new ground for future collaboration in development and environmental sustainability.
- Governments set the stage for a possible agreement to reduce potent greenhouse gases under the Montreal Protocol.
- An amendment on reducing HFCs would be a significant step towards meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
UN Environment Executive Director Erik Solheim issued the following statement in support of a call by the UN Commission on Trade and Development and the Food and Agriculture Organization to end harmful fishing subsidies.
- Developing countries embrace green finance policies as part of wider effort to finance the real economy and meet social, economic and environmental needs
- Green finance policies inspired by new models such as developments in fintech
- US$5-7 trillion a year needed to implement the Sustainable Development Goals
15 to 23 July 2016 at the Vienna International Centre (VIC); Vienna, Austria
- Mist nets used to trap flying birds extend for 700 kilometres along coast of Egypt, where an estimated 5.7 million birds are illegally killed every year
- An estimated 18 birds killed per square kilometer every year in Italy, where illegal killings are thought to be worse than any EU country
- Killings pushing species to brink of extinction; Turtle Dove on IUCN red list as numbers plummet
Solheim pledges to tackle major environmental issues such as ocean and air pollution, climate change, and nexus between conflict, migration and the environment