Author's Workshop for the Preparation of a Regional State of the Coast Report for the Nairobi Convention
17- 19 April 2013
On behalf of the Contracting Parties of the Nairobi Convention for the Protection, Management and Development of the marine and coastal environment of the western Indian Ocean region, the Secretariat for the Nairobi Convention, with the support of UNEP Division of Environmental Policy Implementation (DEPI) and Division of Early Warning and Assessment (DEWA) are organising a regional authors workshop on the preparation of a Regional State of the Coast Report to be held from 17 to 19 April 2013 in Maputo, Mozambique. The author’s workshop is organised in collaboration with the Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA).
The authors workshop is being organised in response to decision CP7/15 of 2012, where the Contracting Parties to the Nairobi Convention requested the Secretariat to facilitate the holding of regional meetings of experts for the purpose of exchanging and consolidating information in accordance with Article 18 (2) of the Protocol Concerning Protected Areas and Wild Fauna and Flora in the Eastern African Region with the aim of preparing the State of the Coast Reports that will contribute to the United Nations Regular Process.
The objective of the author’s workshop is to:
- Introduce the experts to the process and methodology to be used in developing the Regional State of the Coast report;
- Interact with the theme leaders, chapter authors, species specialists and the outline of the Regional State of the Coast report,
- Identify the sources of information, (Peer reviewed case studies, status on indicator species, etc)
- Identify other contacts that may be involved in the process,
- Establish coordination structure for authors, and
- To agree on timelines for the process and subsequent author's workshops.
The expected output of the process will include a Regional States of the Coast report and input to the first World Oceans Assessment report to be finalised by December 2014. All authors and contributors will be fully acknowledged and the reports will be peer reviewed before publishing by UNEP.