7th Conference of Parties Meeting for the Nairobi Convention
10 - 14 December 2012
Theme: “Partnering for a Healthy Western Indian Ocean”.
UNEP Nairobi Convention Secretariat in close collaboration with the host and Chair of the Bureau for the Nairobi Convention, the Government of Mozambique, Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA), World Wildlife Fund (WWF), International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), BirdLife International, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and CORDIO East Africa are organized the Seventh Conference of Parties (COP7) for the Nairobi Convention that was held from 10th to 14th December 2012, at Avenida Hotel in Maputo, Mozambique. The Conference of Parties meeting was organized under the theme “Partnering for a Healthy Western Indian Ocean”.
The outcome of COP7 is strengthened collaboration and renewed commitment between International, Regional and National Organizations in the Western Indian Ocean region and new partnerships with key regional players in the implementation of the Nairobi Convention Work Programme 2013-2016.
The COP7 achieved the following:
- Created new partnerships on oil and gas, climate change, green economy, ports and harbours, ecologically or biologically significant marine areas, and World Heritage sites;
- Reviewed the recommendations of the regional report on marine protected areas and regional synthesis report on Birds as indicators of Ecosystem health;
- Agreed on the new reporting format for the Nairobi Convention including assessment reports such as State of the Coast Report, Ocean Health Index, mangroves, coral reefs and sea grass beds;
- Reviewed the proposed new coordination mechanism, Action Strategy, Work Programme for 2013 to 2016 for the Nairobi Convention;
- Reviewed status of ongoing programmes and projects such as the Mangroves for the Future initiative in the Western Indian Ocean on “Enhancing the resilience of coastal systems in the Western Indian Ocean”; and
- Reported on the progress made in the drafting of the Protocol on Integrated Coastal Zone management (ICZM), ratification and implementation of the Protocol for the Protection of the Marine and Coastal Environment of the Western Indian Ocean from Land-Based Sources and Activities (LBSA protocol); and
- Reviewed proposed project activities in Support to Somalia
The Nairobi Convention Secretariat in collaboration with its partners developed key working and information documents for COP7.
These documents are available at the Nairobi Convention website accessible at: http://www.unep.org/NairobiConvention/.
Organization of the Conference
The Seventh Conference of Parties Heads of Delegation meeting was preceded by four workshops:
- A “Sharks conservation and management workshop” on 6 to 7 December 2012;
- A follow-up workshop on the “UN Regular Process for the Global Reporting and Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment, including Socio-economic Aspects” on 6 and 7 December 2012;
- A “science for policy workshop” on 10 and 11 December 2012; and
- A “Policy makers and experts meeting” and a “WIO-C meeting” on 12 December 2012.
Thereafter, the Seventh Conference of Parties Heads of Delegation was held on 13 and 14 December 2012.
The Sharks conservation and management workshop and the follow-up workshop on the UN Regular Process for the Global Reporting and Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment, including Socio-economic Aspects were held at Tivoli Hotel, Maputo, Mozambique.
The Science for policy workshop; Policy makers and experts meeting; WIO-C meeting and the Seventh Conference of Parties Heads of Delegation were held at Avenida hotel, Maputo, Mozambique.
The working languages for the meeting were English, French and Portuguese. Simultaneous interpretation services from English to French and Portuguese was provided for the policy makers and experts meeting on the 12 December and for the COP meeting on 13-14 December 2012.
Second Announcement to the COP7
First Announcement to the COP7
Other website Links
Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA)
World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
CORDIO East Africa
Nairobi, Kenya, 29 March - 1 April, 2010
Johannesburg, South Africa, 5–8 November 2007
Antananarivo, Madagascar, 6-8 July 2004
Maputo, Mozambique, 5-7 December 2001
Port Louis, 2-4 November 1999
Mahé Island, Seychelles, 17-18 March 1997
Report for the Meeting of Nairobi Convention focal points held on 9 August, 2012 [Download]