7th Conference of Parties Meeting for the Nairobi Convention
10 - 14 December 2012
Theme: “Partnering for a Healthy Western Indian Ocean”.
The Nairobi Convention Secretariat is pleased to announce the Seventh Conference of Parties (COP7) for the Nairobi Convention to be held from 10th to 14th December 2012, in Maputo, Mozambique. The Conference of Parties meeting will be organized under the theme “Partnering for a Healthy Western Indian Ocean”. The Conference will be organized by UNEP in close collaboration with the Government of Mozambique, Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA) and key partners.
The Conference of Parties is a biennial meeting that reviews the status of implementation of the Nairobi Convention and its Protocols. It is attended by Ministers of Environment and government representatives of the ten Contracting Parties, United Nations agencies, international and regional Non-Governmental Organizations, regional and national research institutions and academia.
The seventh Conference of Parties meeting will be preceded by a workshop on “science for policy workshop” and a Policy makers and experts meeting”.
- The Science for policy workshop will be held from 10th to 11th December 2012
- The policy makers and experts meeting to review decisions for the 7th COP will be held on 12 December 2012
- The Seventh Conference of Parties will be held on 13th and 14th December 2012
One of the objectives of the COP7 is to foster collaboration between international, regional and national organizations as well as to secure partnerships between key regional players and the Contracting Parties of the Nairobi Convention in the implementation of the Nairobi Convention Work Programme 2013-2016.
The Science for policy workshop is an opportunity for all partners of the Nairobi Convention to highlight emerging issues and to present evidence to policy makers on the areas that require new policies. The workshop will cover the following thematic areas:
- Climate change and policy implication for coastal and marine environment in the Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region;
- Oil and gas and the outcomes of Rio +20 on green economy;
- Ecosystem health and use of Ecosystem Based Management, Valuation of Ecosystems Goods and Services and Ecosystems Assessments tools;
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management for the Western Indian Ocean
- The impacts of projects such as (i) “Partnership for the Implementation of the Strategic Action Programme for the Protection of the Western Indian Ocean from Land-based Sources and Activities (WIO-SAP)”; (ii) “Mangroves For The Future initiative in the Western Indian Ocean (MFF Project)”; and (iii) “Implementing Integrated Water resources and Wastewater Management in the Atlantic and Indian Ocean Small Island Developing States (African SIDS Project)”; etc.
Organization of the Conference
The science for policy workshop and the experts meeting will be attended by representatives and experts from the Nairobi Convention partner institutions, programmes and projects, while the Conference of Parties meeting will be attended by the Ministers of Environment and government representatives from the 10 Contracting Parties of the Nairobi Convention.
COP7 will be held in Maputo, Mozambique pursuant to the offer made during COP6 held in March 2010 in Nairobi, Kenya by the Government of Mozambique to host the meeting. The Venue will be announced in due course.
Exhibition of posters, side events, launches, etc
The Nairobi Convention Secretariat invites partners, institutions and projects who may wish to exhibit posters, organize side events and launches in the margins of the COP 7 to submit an abstract of not more than 400 words expressing their interest to the secretariat. The latest date for receipt of all abstracts is 15 August 2012 to allow for adequate logistical arrangements by the conference organizers.
The working languages for the meeting are English and French. Simultaneous interpretation services from English to French will be provided for the policy makers and experts meeting on the 12 December and for the COP meeting on 13-14 December 2012.
Limited sponsorship will be available to the Heads of Delegation from the 10 Contracting Parties of the Nairobi Convention.
Contacts for the Secretariat
Nairobi Convention Secretariat
UNEP/ Division of Environmental Policy Implementation
P.O. Box 30552 – 00100
Tel: +254 20 762 1250/2025/5730/3439
Email: Dixon.Waruinge@unep.org; Hellen.Ojiambo@unep.org; Doris.Mutta@unep.org; or Nancy.Soi@unep.org
Ms. Anselmina Liphola
Ministry of the Coordination of Environmental Affairs (MICOA)
Rue de Kassuende, 167
Mr. Alexandre Paulo M. Bartilomeu
Tel: Off: (+258) 829076149
Tel: Mob: (+258) 824895630