Nominations Now Open for the 2013 Champions of the Earth Awards
The 2013 Champions of the Earth, the United Nations' flagship environment award that recognizes outstanding visionaries and leaders in the fields of policy, science, entrepreneurship and civil society action, is now open to accept nominations for the 2013 Awards.
The prize seeks to honor men and women whose actions and leadership have made a positive impact on the care of environment while pursuing sustainable growth. Whether by helping to improve the management of natural resources, promoting the shift to the Green Economy, demonstrating new ways to raise awareness of emerging environmental challenges, and bringing sustainable development to the underserved communities through grassroots socio-enviromental initiatives, the Champions of the Earth should serve as an inspiration for transformative action across the world.
The 2013 Champions of the Earth Awards will recognize exemplary leaders in the following categories: Policy, Leadership, Science and Innovation, Entrepreneurial Vision, and Inspiration and Action.
Winners will be announced and recognized at a high-profile and prestigious Award Ceremony in May 2013 to be held in New York City.
The full list of the 2012 Champions of the Earth is as follows:
- Policy Leadership: President Tsakhia Elbegdorj (Mongolia) for delivering on promises to put the environment at the forefront of policies.
- Entrepreneurial Vision: F?bio C. Barbosa (Brazil) and Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber (UAE) for their business efforts in sustainability and promoting renewable energy and clean technology, respectively.
- Inspiration and Action: Dr. Bertrand Piccard (Switzerland) for raising global awareness of the possibilities of renewable energy-driven transport
- Science and Innovation: Dr. Sander Van der Leeuw (Netherlands) for his research, which applies lessons learned from history to understand why humanity is not facing up to the long-term issue of environmental change.
- Special Category ? Grassroots Initiatives: Samson Parashina (Kenya) for leading community efforts to conserve Kenya?s Tsavo-Amboseli ecosystem.
Click here to go to the Nominations page.