UNEP is supporting the Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources (HCENR) to implement a major climate change project aimed at preparing the country’s National Adaptation Plan under the UN Framework Convention for Climate Change. The joint project’s aim is to identify adaptation strategies relating to the following seven themes:
- Theme 1: Vulnerability of Sudan’s water resources, agriculture and public health to climate change;
- Theme 2: “Hotspot” mapping;
- Theme 3: Coastal zone vulnerability to climate change;
- Theme 4: Investment and financial flows for adapting to climate change in Sudan;
- Theme 5: Climate-proofing projects and programmes;
- Theme 6: Enhancing Local Development Projects; and
- Theme 7: New observational systems
The work has commenced with a major effort on the water resources, agriculture and public health theme. The work is coordinated in Khartoum and works in all states in Sudan through local organising committees. More details of this project are available here
UNEP also works to provide technical support is provided to enable Sudan’s climate change negotiation process and for the development of Sudan’s REDD+ strategy.
In addition, UNEP works to mainstream climate change adaptation into UN programming across Sudan, including providing technical support for events such as the El Fasher Climate Change Workshop
For more information contact Dr Mey Eltayeb Ahmed, UNEP Sudan team’s climate change focal point, on firstname.lastname@example.org.