UNEP is assisting Afghanistan’s National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) and the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) in the implementation of multilateral and regional environmental agreements through training and technical support in project proposal development, legal harmonization, and reporting.
This includes technical assistance in fulfilling the administrative obligations of each ratified convention in order for the government to become eligible to receive technical and financial assistance (UNCBD, UNCCD, UNFCCC, CITES, Ozone Treaties).
- Appropriate MEA institutional structures within NEPA, as well as inter-ministerial linkages, have been developed.
- Assistance in the preparation and implementation of a National Capacity Needs Self-Assessment and a National Adaptation Programme of Action.
- Facilitation of the accession to additional multilateral environmental agreements, including Ramsar and CMS. The "brown" MEAs will be acceded to in 2008 and beyond.
- Assistance in developing GEF projects, including enabling activities under Rio Conventions.
- Facilitation of the participation of Afghan officials in various COP and technical meetings of the conventions, and assistance provided in the development of relevant progress reports and debriefing reports.
- Workshops and training sessions for counterpart staff conducted on specific MEAs.