Environmental development is key to achieving overall
sustainable development.UNEP's work to promote environmental
sustainability, the object of Millenium Development Goal
7, underpins global efforts to acheive all of the Goals
agreed by world leaders at the Millennium Summit.
UNEP supports assessments of environmental conditions
and trends including building the capacity of its many
partners to generate the information necessary for sound
environmental decision making to support sustainable development
and the achievement of the Millennium Goals.
- Assessing global, regional and national environmental
conditions and trends.
- Developing international and national environmental
- Strengthening institutions for the wise management
of the environment.
- Facilitating the transfer of knowledge and technology
for sustainable development.
- Encouraging new partnerships and mind-sets within civil
society and the private sector.