The Environment Under Review aims to contribute to sustainable development and improved well-being through empowering stakeholders at global, regional and national levels.
It aims to do this by:
- providing open web platforms, services and access to timely, substantiated knowledge about the environment and emerging issues and
- strengthening capacities to make use of substantiated knowledge in decision-making.
There are three major accomplishments within the medium term strategic period 2014 to 2017 namely:
- Global, regional and national policy making is facilitated by environmental information made available on open platforms.
- Global, regional and national assessment processes and policy planning are informed by emerging issues.
- The capacity of countries to generate, access, analyze, use, and communicate environmental information and knowledge is enhanced.
To better inform decision and policy making and empower stakeholders in the environment field, SP7 will build on existing investments and efforts, successful activities, networks and partnerships, recognized good practices and comparative advantage of UNEP in the areas of data analysis, assessment and keeping the environment under review The projects in SP7 have been developed to support the major themes of UNEP's 2014-17 Programme of Work i.e. Climate Change, Disasters and Conflicts, Ecosystem Management, Environmental Governance, Chemicals and Waste and Resource Efficiency. The portfolio of projects also includes a set of UNEP-GEF Cross-Cutting Capacity Development (CCCD) projects.