Resource efficiency and sustainable consumption and production (RE/SCP):
UNEP’s objective is to ensure natural resources are produced, processed and consumed in a more environmentally sustainable way. The overarching aim of this subprogramme is to detach economic growth from unsustainable resource use and environmental degradation. In support of a shift to sustainable consumption and production, more focus will be put on production in developing countries and consumption in developed countries.
By building capacities to promote production of environmentally sustainable products, this subprogramme will assist Government and the private sector to improve their capacities to design and implement laws, policies and management actions that promote the production of resource efficient and sustainable goods and services. The subprogramme will disseminate research findings and implement demonstration projects to illustrate the benefits of efficient, clean and safe industrial production methods. Africa, comprised largely of least and developing countries, stands to gain greater access to by building capacities to promote production of environmentally sustainable products.
The overall objectives are:
- To mainstream RE, cleaner and safer production into national economic and development planning and into implementation processes, including national SCP programmes;
- To strengthen the capacity of National Cleaner Production Centres and similar institutions in developing countries to support governments and business, in particular small and medium-sized enterprises in the implementation of resource efficiency improvement programmes.
- To ensure that policymakers recognise the value of environmental investments to economic growth, job creation and poverty reduction, and reflect this recognition in policy decisions;
- To improve awareness, access to and capacity for introducing and managing environmentally sound technologies, supported by enabling policies that speed up their use in achieving RE/SCP;
- To advance RE/SCP through capacity building, cooperation, information sharing and pilot projects in key sectors and the elaboration and implementation of an internationally recognised 10 Year Framework Programme on SCP; and
- To further consolidate the progress that has been made so far on the development and implementation of the African 10 Year Framework Programme on Sustainable Consumption and Production.
The expected accomplishments according to the current Programme of Work are:
- Resource efficiency is increased and pollution is reduced over product life cycles and along supply chains.
- Investment in efficient, clean and safe industrial production methods through public policies and private sector action is increased.
- Consumer choice favours more resource efficient and environmentally friendly products.
1. Development of national and local SCP programmes
2. African Ecolabelling Mechanism (AEM)
3. African Beverages Industries Water Savings Initiative (ABIWSI)
4.Implementation of the Joint UNIDO-UNEP Programme on Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) in Africa
5.Application of PRE-SME and Responsible Production toolkits in the African region
6. Preparation for CSD-18, CSD-19 and Rio+20
7. Sustainable Buildings Policies in Developing Countries (SPOD)
8. Waste management
For more information please contact
Mr. Patrick Mwesigye
Regional Programme Team Leader:
Resource Efficiency and Sustainable Consumption Production